A person facing a sex crimes charge is at one of the lowest points of his or her life—especially if a child is involved. The most common child sex crimes include indecency with a child, sexual assault of a child, aggravated sex assault of a child, online solicitation of a child, and child pornography.
People automatically tend to presume that a person accused of a sex crime is guilty. Family and friends may have cut them off, and they may be having employment problems since being charged. In short, no matter how strongly they have denied the allegations, others have essentially dismissed them.
As I explained in a previous blog, child sex cases are just different from other kinds of cases—from the way prosecutors handle them to how criminal attorneys need to defend them. There are only a small number of criminal defense attorneys in Texas who know how to handle these cases.
When you are looking for a child sex crimes attorney, it is crucial that you examine their experience in handling and trying sex offenses. It doesn’t matter how many DWIs someone has tried or theft cases they have won, because sex crimes are different from all these other offenses.
Here is a checklist of questions to ask a potential attorney:
- Are you Board Certified in criminal law, and how do your colleagues or judges rate you? (The most prestigious and reliable ratings are AV Rating by Martindale Hubbell and Best Lawyers in America.)
- How many child sex offense cases have you handled?
- How many child sex cases have you had dismissed?
- How many child sex cases have you taken to trial?
- How many trials of these cases have you won?
- How many child sex cases have you appealed?
- How many of these appeals have you won?
The answers to questions 4 through 7 are where the rubber hits the road. Would you hire a doctor to perform back surgery who has never operated on a back? Would you hire a surgeon who has less than a 50% chance of success in the operations they perform? Of course not.
At the Neal Davis Law Firm, we regularly handle child sex offenses. We have appealed these cases, and we have track record of getting results in these cases. We invite you to read our testimonials to see what our clients say about us in these cases.
Please contact us now for a free consultation and to learn how we can help you.